Thursday, February 10, 2011

An Ode to Luck

In the past, I've tended to be that person that everyone thinks is "so lucky".

Of course, by past, I do mean from about grade nine forward, since I don't think anyone could possibly believe that I had any luck in my middle school years.

Anyway.

I've been lucky because...

...everything I ever auditioned for in Drama Club in high school, I would get.

...if there was a job I REALLY TRULY wanted, I would get it.

...I was able to get into my Master's program despite only finishing my undergrad with a 78% average.

...I was able to get into Teacher's College despite...only finishing my undergrad with a 78% average.

...I *could have had* the opportunity to study with a scholar I admire in Pennsylvania, should I have chosen not to DO Teacher's College.

...Since finding out where my second practicum will be, I have had the distinct pleasure of doing both of my practicums in schools in the area that are both influential in this school board.

There are other examples, but I'll leave off there.

What's unfortunate is that I think my luck might have finally run out. I still haven't gotten a phone call from the only board to which I bothered applying so far for an interview. I feel like I am at a stage where I need to begin contemplating a Plan B.

The mere idea that there MUST be a Plan B is in itself incredibly depressing. Everyone seemed oh so certain that I would get a teaching position.

"Oh, your teachables are French and History?! Of COURSE you'll get a job. Everyone wants French teachers!"

Of *course* I'll get a job. That's why I'm sitting in front of my computer, fevered, wrapped in two blankets, typing furiously and glancing at my phone every 30 seconds or so, attempting to will it to ring. Waiting to see if maybe my "luckiness" will actually do me good once again. Always waiting. Always questioning.

Maybe I should've gotten that PhD instead.

2 comments:

  1. It's not really the time of year to get a job in teaching, most school boards aren't hiring for their supply lists right now; they're mainly done for this school year. Hiring picks up again in August, and later in the fall... and most school boards don't hire for other jobs until you're on the supply list.

    Hang in there. It does take time, regardless of your background, but eventually it happens, and it will happen for you a little faster with french behind you than it will happen for others... though that doesn't mean you'll get a job right out of teachers college for the spring.

    You'll get there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh...once again, you provide the voice of reason.

    I just get so anxious because there are folks in my classes who *do* have interviews now, and our school keeps shoving it in our faces that "INTERVIEWS ARE IN MARCH, Y'ALL".

    I've calmed down significantly, though. I'm just easily unnerved when it comes to this stuff. :(

    ReplyDelete