Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Obligatory Post

Another birthday is drawing to a close. That's fine, birthdays tend to pass as quickly as they arrived. Between my last post and today, I had nearly forgotten about my actual birthday (which seems impossible, but true).

I am content with how my day played out. I attended the second day of my practicum orientation, in which I received my share of free birthday food and candy (yes, candy - the teachers gave me candy from their "extrinsic motivation" drawers because they had nothing else to give...I love these people already). I got free coffee from three different Starbucks locations (not ashamed of abusing my birthday privileges...ask your local barista for the birthday discount). Then I came home to find that I had received an outpouring of internet love on Facebook.

As I filtered through the myriad of brief well-wishes, what I did notice was that I had NOT heard from someone who I hold very close to my heart. I know, people are busy. I know, people have lives, and some folks don't check their Facebook on a near-obsessive basis (er, not like *I* do that or anything), but that does cut me a little. Even I send out birthday wishes to 99% of the people on my Facebook when that notification comes up. But does this person care for me the way they used to care? That is currently the sad reflective question on my mind, thirty minutes until October 28th.

The outpouring of "happy birthday" that I did receive almost makes up for the notification that is startlingly, glaringly, unhappily missing.

But so this post isn't entirely melancholy, I just discovered that October 27th is also (not on a leap year) the 300th day of the year. That makes me feel extra special indeed!

EDITED: Semi-false alarm - I got belated best wishes from one of the subjects of this post today. The fact that I haven't heard from the other is probably just a symptom of larger problems. It's okay - superficial conflict and stuff. I still love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment