Friday, October 1, 2010

Current Events

Raymond Chase Commits Suicide, Fifth Gay Youth to Take Life in Three Weeks.

I didn't want to stumble upon this headline while cruising my typical news websites before going to bed. Despite the fact that I am so very tired after a long week of school, I want to say something about the series of tragedies that have occurred in the LGBT community over the last few weeks.

Raymond Chase is the fifth in recent weeks to take his life. Four others preceeded him; one freshman in college, a 15 year-old, and two (*two*) 13 year-olds. By no means, unfortunately, does the fact that so many have committed suicide recently represent a terribly recent trend; gay and lesbian teens are at basically the highest risk of succumbing to suicidal thoughts. Why?

Unfortunately, what these boys have in common is the fact that they were all driven to suicide because of some form of bullying. Bullying is a major concern these days, and people have been speaking out about it in an effort to raise awareness and *do* something about it. I was bullied as a child, and while the majority of it had passed by the time I reached age 13 (the youngest age of those boys who took their lives), it certainly left its mark on my self-esteem and on my psyche as a whole.

While it's highly esoteric and slightly unrealistic to say that bullying can be eradicated, I believe it is possible for students who do bully to learn acceptance. A friend of mine recently stated that the act of acceptance is preferable to the trend of "tolerance". It is far more agreeable for folks to accept LGBT people for who they are than to simply tolerate it. Sadly, many people are still at the "tolerate" stage, and have yet to move on to acceptance. But if we can even get people to that point, I think that is a major leap in the right direction.

As a future teacher, one of the things I want to do is participate in my school's version of the LGBT Student Alliance. I feel it is important for students who finally come to terms with their sexuality to feel comfortable and accepted in some way, and if they do get bullied because of their self-realization, I believe it is important to remind them that it does get better.

I hope to help spread that message someday, especially as someone who is the "B" in LGBT.

May those who are bullied for their sexuality be filled with inner strength, and may those who suffered and fell at their own hands find peace wherever they find their spiritual resting place. My thoughts are with the families of the deceased, and I hope that acceptance becomes more prevalent in this world.

No comments:

Post a Comment