Thursday, August 12, 2010

In Defense of Gaming

So, now that I have sufficiently warmed up this blog with introductory posts of stories related to my everyday life, it is time to create a post which has been stewing in my brain for a long time now.

I'm a gamer.

(Pause for effect.)

Okay, that is probably not shocking. I wish it was, but the reality is that we live in a generation of gamers of all ages and genders. The fact that I'm a female gamer will probably make its way into its own post at a later date since there are many issues to discuss on that front for which I do not have adequate space today to post. Video games have become so mainstream that there are theorists out there that believe that gaming can be used to save the world (if you have the time, watch the YouTube video posted in that link, since that speech is riveting enough to be a mustsee for gaming naysayers).

Alright, now that you know I am a gamer, let me take a few minutes to tell you what I am not.

-------

I am not...

* Anti-social

There still exists this nasty stereotype of gamers as people who shun others in lieu of escaping into their digital worlds. While there are indeed gamers who are introverted to the point of self-isolation, the statistics, if they existed, would likely tell you that there are apt to be the same number of anti-social gamers as there are anti-social people who have other hobbies.

Gaming these days is extremely social. Take, for example, the simple existence of the Wii and of party games such as Mario Party, Raving Rabbids, Wii Sports (which comes with the console upon purchase), Wii Sports Resort, Rock Band and its affiliates, and for the adventurous, Super Mario Wii and Super Smash Bros Brawl. These are all multiplayer video games that exist for the purpose of jovial socializing with others. And for the most part, they are designed to be easy enough to learn so that anyone can play.

In the online world, there exist Massive Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Games (MMORPGs) that, *gasp*, contain the very word multiplayer in the title of the genre. World of Warcraft is, these days, one of the more popular MMORPGs. I will return to WoW as an example later in this post. MMORPGs on the whole literally force you as a player to interact with other players through events such as randomized groups, organized larger "raids" for content that is challenging and requires teamwork to accomplish, and battlegrounds, designed to pit a massive group of players against the opposite faction. These are not single-player events.

I am not trying to glibly imply that there aren't anti-social people who play MMORPGs and decide against engaging in the social aspects of the game. Interacting with others is indeed optional. But in real life, isn't interaction with others while out and about optional anyway?

-------

I am not...

* Undisciplined

No sir/ma'am, I am most definitely NOT undisciplined. I have two degrees. I attained excellent averages in both, and will be starting a third degree this fall. Gaming, if anything, has actually taught me discipline and determination in many ways.

Let's go back to World of Warcraft for a second. WoW has a feature called "dailies". "Dailies" are daily quests, missions which you can complete and repeat every day. There are many reasons that one might do "dailies" each day: to gain reputation with a faction of choice, to learn new unnecessary-but-fun skills (such as extra cooking recipes), to earn gold in order to purchase something in the end, or even to earn achievements.

Achievements are basically exactly as the name suggests. They are accomplishments, recognition for doing something. There is an achievement for doing 50 total daily quests (not in one day, of course...you wouldn't have that kind of time), 200 total daily quests, an achievement for doing at least one daily quest each day for 5 days, and the list does indeed go on.

Imagine the real life applications of either of these systems. I tend to treat chores as "dailies" in my everyday existence. That might sound slightly childish, but go ahead and raise your hand if you actually enjoy cleaning the cat litter. Viewing everyday chores as dailies, and rewarding myself for doing them via achievement rewards such as trips to Starbucks, walks around my neighbourhood, or extra gameplay time on the Wii...there is no doubt that this idea strikes you as one that encourages motivated and productive everyday maintenance. MMORPGs can, in fact, teach you how to be a motivated and responsible person. I'm not joking.

Oh, and before you go and tell me that this practise of motivated chore-doing and rewarding already exists, let me go ahead and just say that you understand my point.

-------

It depresses me slightly that in spite of my adamant defense of gaming and the nature of gamers, people will probably continue to associate it with such traits as anti-socialness and laziness, among other negative attributes which I, sadly, do not have time or energy to dispute any further this evening.

Gaming is no less a legitimate hobby than crocheting, or canoeing, or reading, or creative writing, or playing ultimate frisbee.

Oh wait, I do all those things too.

3 comments:

  1. Completely unrelated comment: you need to edit your theme, as links just look like normal text. I only found the "gaming can save the world" one because I accidentally moused over it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danke. Been trying to fiddle once and a while with link colours that won't also get lost in my background. I shall fiddle more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gaming has been growing so fast that the stereotype has had many difficulties keeping up.

    For example, 29% of PC gamers are females aged 25 to 54, where as male computer game players aged 25 to 54 only count for 20% of total PC gamers.* Many people, however, still envision nearly all PC gamers as male.

    *(SRC: http://blog.nielsen.com/nielsenwire/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/stateofvgamer_040609_fnl1.pdf)

    ReplyDelete